For such a light salad this is surprisingly filling, due in large part to the healthy, fiber-rich, vitamin (like A, B-6 and C) and mineral (like calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron) packed ingredients. It’s also got over 22 grams of protein per serving!
Oh, and did I mention it’s pretty tasty too?
- kale or your favorite greens - 4 cups (this is only an approximation)
- quinoa - 1 cup (uncooked)
- avocado - 2 (diced or cubed)
- cannellini beans - 1 can (14 - 16 oz.) drained and rinsed
- almonds - 4 oz.
- currants - 1/2 cup
- mandarin oranges - 1 (11 oz. - in its own juice)
- fresh mint - several leaves
Prepare the quinoa per the directions on the package - 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water. While that is cooking, wash and drain the greens, cannellini beans and mint. You may chop or tear the mint into smaller pieces. Dice the avocado.
After the quinoa has cooled a bit, arrange the greens, followed by a helping of quinoa, beans, currants, almonds, mandarin orange and mint. Finally add the avocado and serve with my Orange Dijon Salad Dressing.
(Any leftover quinoa may be refrigerated for another day)
Bon appetit! :)