When the week-end rolls around, it’s time for something special for breakfast. My kids’ choice was always pancakes.
But these aren’t the ordinary old pancakes I used to make.
These have been flavored with cinnamon and ginger and nutmeg. And the healthy goodness of pumpkin. Add to that a scoop of protein powder and you’ve got yourself a pretty wholesome, tasty meal that’ll have them begging for more! =D
- GF flour mix - 1 cup
- vanilla protein powder (casein, rice or pea powder) - 1 scoop
- coconut sugar (Sucanat, organic cane sugar, honey or Maple syrup) - 1 Tablespoon or 1/2 Tablespoon agave
- baking powder - 1 Tablespoon
- ground cinnamon - 1/2 teaspoon
- ground ginger - 1/4 teaspoon
- ground nutmeg - 1/4 teaspoon
- ground cloves - 1/8 teaspoon
- sea salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- Pumpkin puree - 1/3 cup
- egg whites or *1/4 cup egg replacement - 1 egg or 1/4 cup
- oil, gently melted coconut oil, butter or vegan butter - 1 Tablespoon
- milk (of your choosing) - 1 cup
Measure and whisk together the dry ingredients in one bowl. In a separate bowl measure and whip the egg, oil, milk and pumpkin. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little bit at a time, stirring as you go. If the batter is still too thick, add a bit more milk (or water) and stir.
Ladle pancakes (or hotcakes) onto a medium hot griddle or skillet. Flip it over when it bubbles and cook it on the other side.. Serve with butter, vegan butter, or a dab of Greek yogurt and syrup...or your own favorite topping and enjoy! =)
Makes 10 (4") pancakes.
Oh, I nearly forgot. I’ve even made them up the night before, covered them well and simply reheated them at breakfast time.
*An egg replacement may be made by measuring 1 Tablespoon chia or ground flax seeds and 3 Tablespoons hot water. Stir and allow to set until it becomes a gel before adding to the liquid ingredients.