These delicious, savory muffins have a distinctly Italian flavor and would be wonderful served with my gluten free Minestrone Soup, or any of your other favorite dishes. Despite the name, you can make these without dairy (if you choose), simply by using your own favorite dairy-free cheese, yogurt and milk. They can also be made without egg.
- GF flour mix - 2 cups
- parmesan cheese or non-dairy version - 1 cup (grated)
- coconut sugar (Sucanat, organic cane sugar or honey) - 1 Tablespoon or 1/2 Tablespoon agave
- baking powder - 1 Tablespoon
- baking soda - 1 teaspoon
- sea salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- garlic powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Italian seasoning - 2 1/4 teaspoons
- egg - 1 or *1/4 cup egg replacement
- milk (of your choosing) - 1/2 cup
- Greek yogurt or plain non-dairy version - 1/2 cup
- olive oil - 1/4 cup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray or grease muffin tin.
Measure and whisk together: GF flour mix, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, garlic powder, and Italian Seasoning.
If you're out of Italian Seasoning here is an alternative (which is what I have used):
Measure and mix together 1/2 teaspoon of each of the following dried herbs:
Basil, Oregano, Marjoram, Rosemary and Thyme - Then add them to the dry mixture.
In a separate bowl: Whisk egg or egg alternative with milk, Greek yogurt, and oil. Then add to the dry mixture and stir together until no dry bits remain.
Spoon into prepared muffin tin. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes. Oven temperatures may vary so keep an eye on them. Toothpick should come out clean. Cool slightly before removing from muffin tin.
*To make an egg alternative: Measure 1 Tablespoon chia seeds or ground flax seeds and 3 Tablespoons hot water and stir. Allow to set until it forms a gel. Then add to the liquid ingredients as you would an egg.