I adore cheesecake, but sometimes I’d rather not go through all the work required to make one. And since it’s not easy to just run to the store and pick up a gluten-free version, I thought, what if I could make one that was not only gluten-free, but required absolutely NO baking whatsoever?
Just imagine having a delicious, creamy, tangy, sweet piece of cheesecake in under an hour…
Is your mouth watering yet? Mine was.
And I’m hoping that this once you taste this you’ll agree, that that special yearning we cheesecake lovers crave can be satisfied without all the usual fuss.
Not that there’s anything wrong with fussing. =)
Oh, and did I forget to mention that this is not only gluten-free, grain-free, and egg-free, but can be made dairy-free as well! So you can have a vegan version, if you like.
It’s adaptable in another way too, should you decide to top it with something other than cranberries!
Like Nutella, perhaps?
Uh…I meant fruit.
(Though Nutella does make everything taste just a little better, don’t you think?)
First, prepare a 9" x 9" dish by layering it with parchment paper, wax paper or aluminum foil. Make sure it covers the bottom and sides, with enough left to hang over the edges (so you can lift it free of the dish).
- *1 1/4 cup almond flour, almond meal or finely crushed almonds
- 3 Tablespoons coconut sugar (Sucanat, organic cane sugar, or honey) OR 1 1/2 Tablespoons agave
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, butter, vegan butter (gently melted)
Combine the ingredients and press all BUT 1/4 cup of the crust mixture into the prepared dish. The rest will be crumbled over the top.
- 8 oz. cream cheese or vegan cream cheese (It works best if the cream cheese has been allowed to soften a bit)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar (Sucanat, organic cane sugar or **honey) OR 1 Tablespoon agave
- 1/4 cup milk (of your choosing)
Whip together the filling and spread on top of the crust.
- 1 cup prepared cranberries
When I speak of prepared cranberries, I mean as you would serve them during the holidays - whether that means using the ones you prepared yourself (on top of the stove) or using the store bought kind (in a can - but not the jelly version).
One other note about the prepared cranberries...if they're a tad too tart for you, go ahead and add a touch more sugar. This is a dessert, after all. ;)
Spread the cranberries over the cream cheese filling, sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup crust and refrigerate for several hours OR place in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
To serve, gently lift the cheesecake from the dish and set on a hard surface. Cut by running a sharp knife under hot water and slicing the dessert into squares.
Voila! Yummy, gluten-free, no-bake cheesecake in less than an hour! =)
Keep refrigerated if you're not going to gobble it all up in one sitting.
* If you're unable to use almonds, you may substitute them with crushed gluten-free graham crackers or crushed gluten-free vanilla/shortbread cookies and cut back or omit the sugar entirely. But I'll leave that up to you to decide. =) I find an easy way to crush them is by placing them inside a resealable plastic bag and rolling over them with a rolling pin.
** If using liquid sugar in the filling: eg. Honey - cut the amount of milk to 2 Tablespoons and for agave - cut the amount of milk to 3 Tablespoons - instead of the 1/4 cup milk