If you like the rich, hearty flavor of buckwheat and bananas, then these are the pancakes for you! They can be made dairy free and egg free, with or without nuts. I like to use really ripe bananas, just as I do when I’m making banana bread (like my grandma taught me), as they’re a lot sweeter. I also think they make for a better tasting pancake OR banana bread.
- GF flour mix - 1/2 cup
- *GF buckwheat - 1/2 cup
- coconut sugar (Sucanat,organic cane sugar or honey) - 1/4 cup or 2 Tablespoons agave
- baking powder - 2 teaspoons
- sea salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- ground cinnamon - 1/2 teaspoon
- ground nutmeg - 1/8 teaspoon
- bananas - 2 (ripe)
- egg - 1 or **1/4 cup egg replacement
- grapeseed oil (or another neutral tasting oil) - 2 Tablespoons
- milk (of your choosing) - 1/4 cup
- pecans or walnuts (optional) - 1/3 cup chopped
Preheat the griddle and/or spray or grease the skillet. Measure and mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl. In the blender or food processor add the egg, oil, milk, and bananas and give it a whirl until it's smooth. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir through until no dry bits remain. If it's too thick or sticky, add a bit more milk until you get the consistency you like. Spoon onto a preheated skillet or griddle. Flip when it begins to bubble and cook a minute or two on the other side. Serve with your favorite topping. Makes approximately 8 - 4" pancakes.
* Buckwheat is naturally a gluten free, grain-like seed. It is not a grass and is not related to wheat at all, despite its name. Just make sure you buy it from a facility that does not process wheat!
** To make an egg alternative: Measure 1 Tablespoon chia seeds or ground flax seeds and 3 Tablespoons warm/hot water. Stir together and allow to set until it forms a gel. Then add as you would a regular egg.